Sunday, September 11, 2011

An amazing exhibition!

As a fan of Charlotte Smith's books I was ecstatic to hear that a small exhibition of some of the clothes from Dreaming of Chanel would be coming to Brisbane!  The exhibition finally arrived, and it did not disappoint.  There were pieces from a period of about a hundred years and also a reasonably small collection of shoes, accessories and artefacts.  Illustrations of some of the garments by Grant Cowan also adorned the bold dark blue and baby pink striped walls of the gallery space.  One of my favourite outfits was a 1920s ensemble of an evening dress with a fox thrown over the shoulder as an accessory.  It reminds me so much of a photo of my great-grandmother wearing something nearly identical, a photo which I was incredibly intrigued by when I first saw it.

I'll leave you with a few photos from the collection (excuse the iphone quality)

No comments:

Post a Comment